This scheme encompasses all the skills, experiences and development that you will need to become a successful Shift Manager at Kuehne + Nagel. You can expect to be working with some of our major clients in the media, retail and food industries and we’re looking for graduates who are confident and enthusiastic, excited to learn and immerse themselves within the logistics industry. The number one aptitude we’re looking for is people management skills: you’ll be working in diverse, fast paced teams, rotating around different locations, and interacting with our blue chip clients, so your ability to build relationships, network and communicate effectively is critical. This function values graduates who want to learn the ropes and build their competency at each level of the business, so that they can take a wealth of knowledge and experience into a leadership role in the future.
Meet Luke - 2015 Graduate
Meet Nadja - 2018 Graduate
Meet Andy - Programme Lead
Is it for me?
If you are the type of person who values social interaction and building relationships, and appreciates that people management impacts everything from happiness at work to sales and profitability, then Contract Logistics should be a good fit for you. This is a fast paced job with lots of moving parts, so you’ll need to be calm under pressure and confident enough to give instruction, but also have the modesty to know when you need to follow directions from your peers. This is a meritocracy, so you won’t just be gifted management responsibilities; those who are pro-active, down to earth and resilient will thrive.
What does the programme involve?
The placements will cover four key areas:
- Warehouse Operations – Location depends on client contract (9 months)
- Transport Operations – Location depends on client contract (3 months)
- Warehouse Management – Location depends on client contract (6 months)
- Enhanced Warehouse or Transport Management – Location depends on client contract (6 months)
Your first year, based in one location, will consist of learning from the ground up, understanding the nuts and bolts of both Warehouse and Transport Operations. You’ll then undertake two placements where you’ll act as a shift manager, and there are a range of locations available for you to do this. We have a multitude of amazing client contracts that you could be working on, so there’s a huge opportunity across just two years to gain commercial exposure in a range of industries and with ‘big brands’, whilst honing your management skills in different contexts.
Where can the programme take me?
After the scheme, many of the Contract Logistics graduates go on to be Shift Managers but they don’t just sit still in these roles. We expect our graduates to continue to progress quickly up the management career path and our previous graduates are now excelling in roles such as Warehouse and Operations Manager. Think of this scheme as being the kind where you learn how the business works and develop expertise and competency within the industry, and then work your way up through the business.
What do I need to apply?
- A 2:2 degree qualification (achieved or expected) and 5 GCSE’s Grade A-C including Maths & English
- Right to work in the UK
- You must be geographically mobile, able to relocate for placements and have a driving license/access to transport
How do I apply?
So what are you waiting for? Click here to start your application.
Our recruitment process has 4 key stages:
- Registration and Eligibility Check – this is so we can get you registered on our system and make sure you meet the minimum criteria for the programme
- Video Application – we value the real you and not just what a piece of paper says. That’s why we use a video application. You get the chance to show us your drive and passion for the programme and why you are the best candidate for the job.
- Assessment Centre – this will be a one day assessment at an onsite location where you’ll meet our business and HR managers. Everyone at the assessment is involved in the graduate programme in one way or another and can share their experiences of Kuehne and Nagel and the programme with you.
- Offer – All candidates will receive feedback after the assessment centre no matter the outcome and if you’re made an offer then you’ll soon find a contract pack bursting with information in the post to you. It will be a while until you are due to start the programme but there will be lots happening
- The closing date for applications and assessment centre date are published on our vacancy portal so once you click the Apply link you’ll be able to confirm the dates in your diary for your chosen programme.
Why choose Kuehne + Nagel?
- Starting salary £27,000 plus a £1000 welcome bonus + benefits (pension, healthcare, cashback & discount portal)
- Financial support with a professional qualification linked to programme: CILT Level 5 Diploma in Warehousing & Transport