How does cargo move across seas, mountains, rainforests and continents to get from one place to the other? The answer is through the work of an International Freight Forwarder! As an International Freight Forwarding Apprentice you will earn as you learn, combining practical on-the-job training with study towards a Level 3 International Freight Forwarding Apprenticeship.
You will either work within the Seafreight, Airfreight or Overland business area, allowing you to get to grips with that one particular mode of transport. The apprenticeship will teach you everything you need to know to successfully and confidently complete freight forwarding assignments, whilst being supported by your peers, your managers, and the apprenticeship team within Kuehne + Nagel. This apprenticeship was created to teach you how to move goods from one place to another but it is also a sure-fire way to transport yourself into a successful career!
Is it for me?
In the modern world of next day delivery and where the purchase of almost anything is only a click away, our International Freight Forwarding roles are about working with our customers to plan the transportation of their goods across borders. Your role is to ensure that your customer’s good are delivered across the air or sea in the easiest and most effective way possible, but don’t worry if this all sounds a bit daunting to you! We don’t expect you to know anything about freight forwarding when you join us. While knowledge about the movement of goods is warmly welcomed, your desire to want to learn about the industry and your ability to work in a team is far more important. If you’re a confident, analytical person who is eager to learn and progress in their career then you’d be a great fit for this apprenticeship!
What does the programme involve?
This is an 18 month apprenticeship during which time you will achieve a Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in International Freight Forwarding. You will focus on the movement of goods across either the sea or air and you will receive training and support to ensure that you are able to perform your role to the very highest standard.
Day to day you may be responsible for a variety of tasks such as shipment bookings, creating the appropriate documents, liaison with carriers, or generating sales quotations, but you will be taught and supported to do these things by your manager, your team and the apprenticeship team at Kuehne + Nagel. In addition to on-the-job training, you will also learn the skills to be successful through face to face workshops and 1:1 meetings with your personal tutor every month.
Where can the programme take me?
After successfully gaining your qualifications and proving yourself to be an effective member of the team, you will be eligible for a bonus and pay rise, and there is also the opportunity to secure a full time role within the International Freight Forwarding department. Your career is in your hands and, with the knowledge you have gained over the course of the apprenticeship, it is up to you to decide which route your career will take within Kuehne + Nagel.
What do I need to apply?
Applicants to the apprenticeship programme must have achieved (or be expected to achieve) five GCSEs at grades 3 – 9 / A*-D (including English & Maths) or equivalent. All applicants must also have the right to work in the UK. Other than that we are just looking for passion, enthusiasm and a desire to progress within the logistics sector!y mobile, able to relocate for placements and have a driving license/access to transport.
How do I apply?
So what are you waiting for? Search our vacancies to see what roles we have.
Our recruitment process has 4 key stages
- Application – this is so we can get you registered on our system and make sure you meet the minimum criteria for the programme
- Telephone Interview – you will receive a phone call from a member of the team to ask you a bit more about yourself and why you are interested in the role
- Face to face interview or assessment centre – depending how many roles we are recruiting for and how many successful applications there have been at the time, you will either be invited for a face to face interview with the Manager who is hiring for this role or you will be invited to an assessment centre. The assessment centre will still have an interview within it but may also have a few extra elements such as group discussion or an in-tray activity.
- Offer – following your interview or assessment centre, you will be called by a member of the team and provided with feedback - no matter the outcome. If you are made an offer, you will soon receive your contract and plans will start to be made with you for your first day as a Kuehne + Nagel apprentice!
Why choose Kuehne + Nagel?
- Competitive starting salary, with bonuses and pay rises contained within the programme
- Attractive benefits including pension and cashback & discount portal)
- Support to achieve professionally recognised qualifications