We are looking for two graduates to join Kuehne + Nagel on our Airfreight graduate programme in September 2020.
Our Airfreight graduate programme will involve you contributing to the delivery of airfreight services for customers across the world, which will involve huge amounts of customer and supplier interaction, both face to face and on the phone. This is a highly commercial and customer focused programme so we are looking for individuals who demonstrate confidence, excellent communication skills and business acumen.
Is it for me?
If you are the type of person who is confident and effective when dealing with customers, both over the phone and face to face, you will thrive on this programme. This is a commercial environment, so in addition to a strong customer focus, you will need business acumen and a good understanding of the commercial aspects that are critical to the success of this department.
What does the programme involve?
This is a two-year graduate programme comprising of rotational business placements, covering three key areas as follows:
• Branch Exports and Sales – Heathrow (8 months)
• Branch Imports and Finance – Manchester (8 months)
• Specialism – Heathrow or Birmingham (8 months)
Your Branch Exports and Sales placement will provide you with a full understanding of an airfreight exports operation. You will be involved in the end to end management of a wide range of exports, be these one-off consignments, or for our well-established blue-chip customers. This is where your commercial acumen will be developed, as your role will involve making decisions on behalf of our customers whilst maintaining a viable profit.
Within Branch Imports and Finance, your role will involve reaching out to one of 600 locations globally and make arrangements for consignment transportation. This might include: customer service, providing pricing quotes, and organising transfers between freight service and warehouses. You will also be given to exposure to the finance team and understand how it supports the airfreight business.
In the final eight months of the programme, you will undertake a Specialism, developing your expertise in a certain area whilst working in a complex environment. Depending on where you specialise, you could be managing the movement of anything from time-dependent fresh fish (Perishables), to temperature sensitive vaccines (Pharma), to high-value aircraft engines (AOG). Each of these placements will build on the skills you have acquired in your Exports and Imports placements, and further enhance your understanding of the specialist services KN provides.
Where can the programme take me?
We will engage with you during your programme to discuss the different routes available within the division, and where your strengths are well suited. Your progression will be led by business demand, the area you have specialised in and the skills and competencies you have developed. Typical roles immediately after the programme include Specialist Operators, Key Account Management, sales and commercial roles.
What do I need to apply?
• A 2:2 degree qualification (achieved or expected) and 5 GCSEs Grade A-C including Maths & English
• Eligibility to work in the UK
• You must be able to relocate for business placements as stated
• A full UK driving license (or will have one by September 2020)
• Access to your own transport
How do I apply?
There are just three key stages to our recruitment process:
• Registration and Eligibility Check – when you click to apply we will immediately get you registered on our system and make sure you meet the minimum criteria for the programme. Make sure you do this before the closing date of 27th October 2019!
• Video Application – we value the real you and not just what a piece of paper says. That’s why we use video applications. You get the chance to show us your drive and passion for the programme and why you are the best candidate for the job
• Assessment Centre – this will be a one day assessment centre held in Birmingham. You will meet our business and HR managers and get to know more about Kuehne + Nagel and the graduate programme. The Airfreight assessment centre will be held on 19th November 2019 – make a note of this date in your diary!
Following the assessment centre all candidates will receive feedback, no matter the outcome. If you are made an offer, you will receive a Welcome Pack in the post bursting with information about the programme and your Contract of Employment.
Why choose Kuehne + Nagel?
• You will enjoy a competitive starting salary of £27,000 per annum, plus a £1000 welcome bonus when you start
• We have a fantastic range of benefits including pension, healthcare cover, and a cashback & discount portal
• Further technical development linked to your chosen programme