Our scheme structure lays the foundations for your progression and gives you a broad insight into how we operate. Don’t immediately assume we’re looking for ‘techies’ – in fact, we need an individual who is open minded, customer-focused and can communicate with confidence.
To effectively manage projects you need to ask the right questions, know how and where to challenge your team, and be able to fill Kuehne + Nagel customers with confidence. If you want to experience lots of business areas to build understanding, and then bring fresh ideas and your analytical skills to the table, we’ll be a great fit for you.
Is it for me?
The IT function of Kuehne + Nagel needs people who want to solve problems in new ways and won’t just repeat things that have been tried and tested in the past. There is a huge wealth of technical expertise that you can draw from in the department, so we’re looking for someone who is keen to learn but also to challenge and bring fresh thinking to our working style, rather than an IT subject-matter expert. There might be long, unsociable hours and travelling, but the reward is a huge amount of knowledge, new expertise and support along the way, including a well-established buddy scheme, mentoring, and regular catch ups with the Head of UK IT.
What does the programme involve?
The placements cover three key areas:
- IT Department – Milton Keynes plus site visits (4 months)
- IT Solutions – Milton Keynes plus site visits (8 months)
- IT Solutions – Key Project – Depends on project, plus site visits (12 months)
In your first placement you’ll be ‘finding your feet’ at Kuehne + Nagel, getting a taster of a range of IT functions. Moving into IT solutions your role becomes project-based, travelling to spend time within the various IT solutions functions and blue chip clients. The actual projects you’ll be working on depends on client demand when you join! You might start off with one project and expand into a couple of others for variety, but you can expect to develop your understanding and capability, learning the ins and outs of how the different functions work.
The final placement will be working on a key project. You will take ownership of part of a core client project and have set objectives to deliver against in order to accelerate. The final placement will be working on a key project. Overall, you’ll spend time in a multitude of departments to find out firstly what you’re good at, and secondly what you enjoy doing, which means there’s a number of ways your career can be progressed at Kuehne + Nagel.
Where can the programme take me?
Graduates typically complete the graduate scheme in an analyst role, on route to becoming a project manager. It depends, however, where your interest has been piqued in the graduate scheme – a project management role might not be your preference, and we’re keen to accommodate your interests in your future roles following the graduate scheme and pair that with business need.
What do I need to apply?
- A 2:2 degree qualification (achieved or expected) and 5 GCSE’s Grade A-C including Maths & English
- Right to work in the UK
- You must be geographically mobile, able to relocate for placements and have a driving license/access to transport
How do I apply?
So what are you waiting for? Search our vacancies to apply now.
Our recruitment process has 4 key stages:
- Registration and Eligibility Check – this is so we can get you registered on our system and make sure you meet the minimum criteria for the programme
- Video Application – we value the real you and not just what a piece of paper says. That’s why we use a video application. You get the chance to show us your drive and passion for the programme and why you are the best candidate for the job
- Assessment Centre – this will be a one day assessment at an onsite location where you’ll meet our business and HR managers. Everyone at the assessment is involved in the graduate programme in one way or another and can share their experiences of Kuehne + Nagel and the programme with you
- Offer – All candidates will receive feedback after the assessment centre no matter the outcome and if you’re made an offer then you’ll soon find a contract pack bursting with information in the post to you. It will be a while until you are due to start the programme but there will be lots happening
The closing date for applications and assessment centre date are published on our vacancy portal so once you click the Apply link you’ll be able to confirm the dates in your diary for your chosen programme.
Why choose Kuehne + Nagel?
- Starting salary £27,000 plus a £1000 welcome bonus + benefits (pension, healthcare, cashback & discount portal)
- Financial support with a professional qualification linked to programme: Well discuss with you the right qualification for your career development e.g. Level 4 Associate Project Manager inc. Prince 2